Your Ad Here

Welcome to Xro Network!

Visit our forums at http://xronet.forumer.com

Comments, suggestions, contributions? Mail them in at xronet@yahoo.com

A Winter Sport: Curling

The name alone sounds different. It even sounds like a ballet move of some sort. But it's been around for ages and, literally, the game is sweeping the globe. :D

As I was surfing the tube, I landed on the channel that was covering the Vancouver Winter Olympics. And saw this odd type of sport. At first I wasn't really sure what it was. People were just sliding across the ice with what seemed to be marble rocks with handles, and as the rocks were gracefully sliding, 2 people were sweeping in front of it. Making the ice smoother or maybe melting it a bit so there'd be less friction and the rock would slide further.



I was intrigued as to how this sport worked. So I decided to tune in and see what happens.

My first impression was, "Hey, this isn't really fun at all! Why would anyone wanna slide and hit rocks and SWEEP on ice?!"

But as I observed, slowly and I mean slowly, because mainly the rock thingy takes a while to get where they are supposed to be going and there are 2 teams competing. I noticed the degree of skill involved in the game. The accuracy and finesse it needs to hit the other team's curling rock.


Now it's not really that ahtletic, and others argue that it's not really a sport. It's in the olympics anyway so I dunno. There are lots of games that revovles on accuracy to win. Archery, Golf, Darts to name a few.

The game can really catch your attention. Mainly because of how unusual it is. But as you progress in watching it, you appreciate the level of skill involved.

Watch this to learn a bit more on curling.



Intrigued? Let's talk about it here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Ads by AdBrite